Summer Ventures in Science & Math
Summer Ventures in Science & Math is a no-cost, state-funded program for academically talented North Carolina students who have special interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. As a rising high school junior or senior, you live on a college campus for four weeks in the summer and conduct research on and around topics of your interest.
Who can apply?
Who can apply?
- Rising high school juniors or seniors who have not already participated in Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics.
- Students whose custodial parent or guardian lives in North Carolina as of December 1, 2016.
- Students with proven academic ability, motivation in STEM fields of study, and emotional maturity.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and Governor’s School, but they must choose one if accepted to both programs.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM). Students must choose between Summer Ventures or the NCSSM residential program if accepted to both. NCSSM Online students can attend Summer Ventures.
- A student on the NCSSM residential waiting list who is later accepted may attend Summer VenturesWhat do I need to apply?Applicants must provide:
- Student application
- Confidential teacher evaluation
- Confidential counselor evaluation
- Evidence of academic performance
An admissions committee, comprised of professionals from across North Carolina, selects finalists to participate in Summer Ventures. Each finalist is assigned to a specific institute site based primarily on academic program preferences.